Contemporary singer/songwriter and touring performer, Maureen writes from the heart and sings it with passion. An interpretive vocalist, she has a rich, mellow vocal sound and selects material that best suits her vocal style. An evolving songwriter, her current work is a distinctive fusion of Jazz-Folk-Rock.
Maureen has performed in a variety of groups and duos as well as being an accomplished solo performer. Her performances occur in a wide variety of entertainment experiences such as:
- Tastings on the Terrace (Sunday afternoons in the Hunter Valley vineyards).
- Wine and food festivals.
- Music festivals.
- Restaurants, cocktail functions, ‘lounge bar’ music, restaurants, dinner/theatre shows.
- Dedicated concerts.
- Parties and boutique music sessions.
She had a nine month residential at The Wheelshop, Honeysuckle, Newcastle, underpinning the twice-monthly Acoustic Live & Local initiative.
Live performances with her support bands are dynamic. She likes to give her musicians ‘room to breathe’ so every performance reflects a freedom to explore different approaches to selected material. The line-ups vary as she selects musicians from an extensive pool of talent to suit individual gigs. Her solo performances are described as ‘warm and intimate’.
As a songwriter Maureen writes from the heart and interprets from the soul. She has written and performed Classic Blues and Jazz, Folk-Rock, Jazz-Rock and Contemporary Folk and Blues genres. She has been a multi-finalist in the 1233 ABC Radio Newcastle Music Awards and her second album, Many Shades of Blue, was awarded the prestigious Trad&Now Magazine’s Best CD of 2006 in the Blues and Roots genre. Her third album, Luminous, and fourth album, Ebb & Flow, have been receiving regular airplay throughout community stations across Australia with Luminous selected as the AMRAP Album of the Month in 2007. Tracks from Luminous have also been selected for airplay oversees.
She also recorded a single CD, An Orphan’s Lullaby, specifically to help raise funds for childrens’ homes in Africa, India and Indonesia and has recorded a Jazz EP with previous band Smoothazz.
Maureen has been writing and performing for more than a decade and is a fully-fledged writer member of the industry association, Australasian Performing Rights Association (APRA).
Maureen has been performing extensively as a soloist and in a variety of duo, trio and full band line-ups. She tours regularly with supporting musicians throughout NSW and Queensland, performing for a broad variety of functions/events and in a diverse selection of venues including:
- Restaurants and bars in NSW and QLD such as Crowne Plaza, Soup Plus (iconic jazz venue in Sydney), Honeysuckle Restaurants (Newcastle), The Wheel Shop Blues (former dedicated Blues venue in Newcastle), Verve Cafe (Brisbane), The Vue (Brisbane), Cafe Renaissance (Cooranbong), The Imperial (Narromine), Quackers Restaurant at Ducks Crossing eco resort (Lake Macquarie), The Willow (Morpeth), The Other Place (Hamilton) and more.
- Wineries/Vineyards: regular performer at Mistletoe Winery (regular entertainer for the winery’s Tastings on the Terrace and other harvest events), Pokolbin’s Olive and Vine Festival (Tuscany Estate), Winemakers Dinner at Pokolbin in 2006, Broke’s Spirit of the Vine Festival (Broke/Fordwich Winegrowers’ Black Tie pre-dinner function; daytime festival event), the renowned Robert’s Restaurant, Granite & Grape Winery (Mt Tamborine), Twilight Jazz at Red Earth Estate (Dubbo).
- Music festivals such as St Alban’s (7 years), Wollombi, Fleadgh Coel (Sydney celtic festival, 2 years), Major’s Creek (Illawarra), The Basin (Victoria), Folk In Broke (Hunter Valley) and The Turning Wave Festival (Gundagai).
- Folk in Broke Sunday afternoon concerts.
- Folk clubs such as Illawarra, Hornsby, Newcastle, Merry Muse (Canberra), Kookaburra and Mad Ass (Brisbane).
- Clubs and hotels such as Singleton RSC, Gallipoli Legion Club, Morisset Country Club, Shenanigans Irish Pub, The Harp (Sydney), The Alley Bar (Brisbane), Branxton Golf Club and more.
- Community functions such as Lake Macquarie Council’s Music in the Podium, Carols in the Park (Broke Fordwich Tourism), Australia Day festivities in Dunedoo, art exhibitions/openings, market days, Newcastle Livesites (outdoor events organised by Newcastle City Council; performance in the harbourside restaurant precinct) and fund raising concerts.
- Dedicated concerts: 313 Theatre (Wollongong), Berry School of Arts, Dobell House (Wangi), Vonda Youngman Community Centre (Mt Tamborine), The Wheelshop (Honeysuckle, Newcastle).
- Charity functions such as Rotary, Inner Wheel, Business and Professional Women’s Club, Community Chest Award, MAD For Children.
- Private parties and celebrations.
Maureen also runs choirs, and writes and directs plays. Contact her for more information.